Bing Cherry Sangria
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 cup California Bing cherries, pitted
1 (750 ml) bottle fruity red wine, chilled
2 cups California Bing cherries, pitted
24-36 ounces mineral water
Fresh mint, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the sugar, water, and cherries in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, cover, and steep for 15 minutes. Chill. This step can be done a day ahead.
- Pour the wine into a glass pitcher. Strain the cherry syrup into the wine, pressing on the solids to release any cherry juice.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 orange and 1 lime and add to the wine. Slice the remaining fruit into rounds or wedges (for garnish), and add half to the wine along with half the fresh cherries.
- Add ice and mineral water, to taste. Pour the sangria over glasses of ice, top each glass with a little more mineral water if desired; garnish with sliced fruit, cherries, and mint sprigs.
Makes 1 pitcher, serving 6-8