Bing Cherry Thumbprint Cookies
Download print ready version of this recipe.
1 pound fresh Bing cherries, washed & pitted (about 2 cups)
1/8 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
2 cups flour
- Combine Bing cherries and water in a small pot and simmer over low heat until fruit is tender,
about 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, zest, and sugar and stir gently until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 10 minutes, stirring on occasion, until thick and syrupy.
- Pour into a shallow bowl and cool, or alternately refrigerate until jam is set.
This can be made a day ahead.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla or almond extract.
- Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Using your thumb, make an impression in the center of each ball.
- Fill each cookie with cherry jam making sure each has a cherry in the center.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the dough is set and lightly browned on bottom.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 2-3 dozen